Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Sweet Wait

I was at the airport today and spent an awful lot of time there too. And I saw many others like me waiting, looking restless in anticipation. Some were families, some friends, others, business associates, but mostly there were couples. And I saw 2 separate people and had the chance to observe their expressions closely. In the new plush expanse of the waiting area in the arrival lounge was a girl of 20 something, biting her well manicured fingernails, one minute standing against the railing craning her neck to get a clearer glimpse of the gate and another minute scurrying off to read the update of flight arrivals on the digital display board. Then she'd look at her watch and let out a 'psch'. She looked happy being that nervous.
The other was an older guy, probably married, early 30s I thought to myself. Nice looking chap too. Looked like a jat. You know 6 feet tall with a robust asli ghee ka body and all that. Ok. Maybe I stared at him for too long. But the point is, he was fidgity too. Both the guy and the girl, unknowns, shared the moment of excited anticipation.
And then, like a warm iron ironing out creases, the knit eyebrows and crumpled chin turned into smooth, peach skin glowing with the radiance of love. The metamorphosis was a beautiful sight. I would have done a re-wind on that one. As if catapulted into flight, the girl let out a huge scream and leaped straight ahead to give her man a bear hug. And our guy of 30 made no fuss. He walked to his girl, put his hand around her waist, gave her a light peck on her forehead and walked her away, his hand still safely secure on her waist. That confirmed his age by the way and probably marital status too.

I wish I could be either of the two. More the girl. I would love to feel that rush of emotion, go pale with nervousness and then feel overwhelmed at the sight of him.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely written. Much longing sensed. Much loneliness sensed. Chennai hangover?

Mind of an unknown said...

Nah :) Just simple observation. I am a hopeless romantic anyway.

Mini said...

nice work..keen observation :)

Mowgli said...

i like it. can relate. :)

Chandru said...

beautiful :) truly a heart-felt description. i could almost feel myself transported to that terminal. :) thanks for the post :)